With falls being the leading cause of injuries in older adults, it’s important to understand how to prevent the common causes.
To help prevent falls at home, consider the following home modification tips:
- Keep rooms free from clutter
- Install handrails, raised toilet seats, grab bars and shower mats
- Light up dark areas of the home
- Remove or tape down any loose carpets or electrical wires
- Ensure telephones can be easily reached from the floor
- Replace chairs that are too low to the ground or difficult to get out of
- Install night lights throughout the home, especially in bathrooms and stairwells
In addition to home modifications, a change in wardrobe also can help in preventing falls. Wear sensible, non-slip footwear and avoid wearing loose clothing. Make sure to also talk with your family and care providers about your falling risks.